Anyway. Saturday, we met up with Matt & Blair. We checked out a couple of other sessions, which were very good, and had a very tasty lunch together, but the highlight of my afternoon was attending the above-mentioned session. Frankly, I was a little nervous dragging ATM to this event because I wasn't feeling positive that Rees would pull off a one-hour workshop on how to sharpen pencils, ffs. Needless worry, David is pretty fucking hilarious. Non-stop laughter for an hour and there were tons of hee hees. It was awesome to look around and see everyone in stitches! It was so much fun, I tried to recount the day's happenings to friends later that evening, but I abandoned that idea pretty quickly because it was one of those 'you had to be there' ordeals. But, still, I thought I'd give it a go here because I've got photographs! And, still, you probably would have had to have been there!
So, David was a panelist on an earlier discussion we attended in the morning. Afterward, I bought his book and had a little chat with him. He asked if we were coming to his talk later in the day: yes. I asked if I should bring my pencils: what kind do you have? All kinds, one with the American flag on it, colored pencils, eyeliner, and some #2s: bring the #2s. OK! 100% real wood, made for scan-trons:
Rees with his three volunteers, including Matt R on the end there! These three were interpreting a chapter of his book titled "Sharpening Pencils for Children".
This fella did the novelty pencil-sharpening technique called Sharpening A Pencil Behind Your Back.
Mike here did the novelty technique called Sharpening a Pencil "With Your Teeth":
Ahem. This technique is called Sharpening A Pencil In Front Of A Car. I told this gal afterward that I would not have done this humiliating pose and probably would've told Mr. Rees where he could stick his pencils. She was a really good sport:
Rees with his El Casco M430-CN. He claims it's the 4th most expensive thing he owns and he has a house and a car.
After the session, I hired David to sharpen my pencil. He used a shaver-style sharpener:
The artisan at work:
The results. Please note the bag of shavings. He returns a job's shavings, as they are part of the pencil and your property. Also, the sharpened pencil is protected by rubber tubing to prevent breakage.
Certificate of Authenticity:
Autograph, in pencil naturally:
And, finally, my first attempt as sharpening with a pocket knife. Not bad, I'd say:
A tip for eye-liner users: freeze 'em before you sharpen them.
Fun day.
Fun day.












3 comments:
This looks like it was fun and oddly like drama competitions from when I was in high school.
I find David Rees very attractive.
It was tons of fun and humor = ultimate sexiness
Post a Comment